Tuesday, June 5, 2007

The Truth is Out There


As a teen in the late sixties I was enamored with rock music. I often wondered if there were hidden messages in rock music and sometimes tried to decipher lyrics. The only trouble was that I usually couldn’t understand the lyrics, and alas there was no internet back then to help find them. I was usually way off base as to what the words to a song actually were, so that made finding the hidden meaning a lot more difficult.

As a mature adult now, (who just happens to have listened to Pink Floyd’s Dark Side of the Moon while watching The Wizard of Oz several times), with years of experience to guide me and the power of the internet to research song lyrics I am even more certain that most rock songs are full of hidden messages, and you don’t even have to play them backwards. If you don’t believe me, just take a look at what I found pertaining to us adopting our precious daughter of China in Bob Dylan’s “Mr. Tambourine Man”. I will give a portion of the lyrics in quotation marks and the hidden meaning in parentheses. Prepare to be amazed.

“Hey Mr. Tambourine Man” (China Center of Adoption Affairs), “play a song for me” (please send us our referral)
“I’m not sleepy and there ain’t no place I’m going to”, (we lay awake at night wondering why it is taking so long)
“Hey Mr. Tambourine Man play a song for me,
in the jingle jangle morning I’ll come following you”, (We’re waiting on that morning phone call)
“Take me on a trip upon your magic swirling ship”, (Airbus, Boeing 747, whatever)
“My senses have been stripped”, (preparing the dossier)
“My hands can’t feel to grip”, (the fingerprinting)
“My toes too numb to step” (we’re on pins and needles)
“Wait only for my boot heels to be wandering”, (just tell us which province)
“I’m ready to go anywhere”, (we have our passports)
“I’m ready for to fade, into my own parade”,
(we're ready to join our travel group)
“Cast your dancing spell my way, I promise to go under it, (we will do the Happy Snoopy dance when we get the news)

Well there it is, as plain as the nose on your face. How could Bob Dylan have known? I knew you wouldn’t believe it unless I spelled it out. Becky says that I need to quit writing this stuff, she’s afraid that our social worker might see it and reconsider our home study report. I have to quit for now, I have been searching the lyrics of Sam the Sham and the Pharaohs, and I expect to find a treasure trove of hidden meanings.

No comments:

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers